The candy is easy now that I know how to temper chocolate. I've got all the critical elements: excellent chocolate (Callebaut, in small easy-to-melt morsels), a candy thermometer and new molds (shells, chess pieces and electric guitars.) Should be fun. It's more chemistry than cooking but is a great crowd pleaser. The banana bread and muffins from last weekend were big hits (all the more so because I make them infrequently.) I owe Nick the dinner of his choice as a small thank-you for everything he does for me. He's researching dishes and menus, making choices and doubting himself, deciding and then undoing his decisions -- all the agonies of creativity. I will make one other thing this weekend at Liv's request -- Moroccan chickpea soup. We've made it every winter for the last few years and it's always a hit.
And from a broader view, it's been an interesting week:
- watching the public option cling to life
- hearing Lindsey Graham dismiss Glen Beck
- finding John Ensign back on the front page
- Michelle Bachmann is as always amusing (sex clinics?)
- John Boehner's vapid words are always obscured by his preternatural tan
- Sarah Palin is without question the gift that keeps on giving